Tuesday, July 13, 2010

India

Yes, finally, my long awaited entry. I'm sorry!!! =( I wanted to update about India so much, but my life has been moving in a very fast pace. *yea right* Haha.

I went to India during my Chinese New Year holidays this year with my aunts, uncles and cousins. In total, there were eight of us! And it was definitely super fun!!! My trip there was totally coincidence. My mama had stayed in India 10 years ago for about 8 years, and her maid's daughter was getting married. They were so close, especially Aty, with the bride-to-be, Pinky, and they wanted to revisit the place so much! Aty practically grew up there, so yea, she was really looking forward for it.

As for adik and I, we were just offered to join the trip. And we went like, "Why not?" Haha. I was divided at first, as I wanted to go back to Kelantan as well, and going to India means I would have to wait for another holiday to go back. But then again, when is such opportunity going to come again. So I agreed =) Oh, adik even bought her DSLR months earlier for this trip.

India is totally different from other countries that I have visited in the past. The life, culture and way of living is just like a movie, like those scenes shown in Slumdog Millionaire. Like really.
Upon arrival at the airport!

I can say I enjoyed India a lot, not just because of the vacation. Each place we went to was really pretty! The people were okay, we met some really helpful people. Bapak and mama became our unofficial tourist guide, and we had a driver to drive us around for the whole week.

Outside Suman's house

We did not stay in those hotels that we are used to stay. Our hotel is Ajanta Hotel and is located at the backstreets of Delhi. Bapak said, if we want to appreciate India, this is the kind of environment we have to stay in. It would be just like any other countries if we stayed at Asoka Hotel or The Grand Hyatt. For that, I am totally grateful!

The food was awesome! Some of my friends warned me that I might get my tummy upset when I am in India, but thankfully that never happened. I ate A LOT! The briyani rice, chicken tandoori and everything else tasted nothing like I have ever tasted before. We went to good restaurants and avoided stalls so we were safe =) Anil, our driver took us to the most amazing restaurants around!!

The weather in New Delhi was rather cooling as compared to Jaipur or Agra which we also visited. Our first three days in Delhi was super fun! We went to Suman's house to meet the bride. She's very pretty, the Indian look which will capture the hearts of many. According to my mama, their house condition is way better then what they used to have, and she's very happy for it.
See all the pretty saree!!!!

Then we went shopping at SaroginiNaga. I think that is how they spell. Hehe. Anyway, I got myself a lengga to wear on the wedding night. Legga is a top and skirt, the ones we always see Kajol or Aishwarya Rai wearing in movies. Heeee. I've always been a fan of Bollywood movies since I could ever remember. I love their songs, dance and everything!In front of our hotel waiting for our driver

We went to the Red Fort. I don't really know the history of this place but the buildings were pretty and we had fun taking pictures. If I'm not mistaken it was the palace Mughal Emperor. We had to take a trishaw to go to the fort and it was really fun!!! Then we went to a memorial park, and also the Indian Gate. I did not go close to pay respect to the president, but I loved Indian Gate! Reminds me of the movie Mann. =) Do you know that movie??

The Red Fort guard

We did more shopping before the wedding. Mostly we bought sarees and shawls. I made myself a pink saree! Haha. I would never know how to wear a saree on my own, and thank technology, I have a ready made saree! Now I wonder where I should wear it to. Haha.

The wedding was awesome! Pinky was stunningly beautiful. It was an arranged marriage, but the groom was good looking, so yea, I think it works just fine. If I'm not mistaken he has a good job too. I'm happy for her.





What mesmerizes me most is that everyone, yes I mean it, EVERYONE knows how to dance!! And they dance the same step! OMG! Seriously!!!!! Though not seriously choreographed like what we see in movies, their dance moves are smooth, and there was this one song which had a pause, EVERYONE PAUSED! Amazing!!!

But the most famous one that night was not only the bride. It was Aty!!!!! They were all in shock to see Aty all grown up! They were like "Nurbaity! Nurbaity!" They were even worried when Aty went missing, when she was actually at the washroom??? Haha.

We did not wait till the ceremony ended as it was getting late and we had a long trip to Agra and Jaipur the next day.

Our original plan was to stay in Agra for one night before going to Jaipur, but all the hotels were fully booked, so we went to Jaipur immediately after Agra. In Agra, we visited the famous Taj Mahal. I've posted an entry about it here. The journey from New Delhi to Agra was about six hours, same goes for the next journey from Agra to Jaipur. Even so, we had so much fun to bother about the long journey. Anil entertained us with a CD which contained famous Hindi songs and there was nothing to ask for. The scenery was breath taking. I love it! It reminds me of the scenes you see in movies such as Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge and Kuch Kuch Hota Hai =)

Our hotel in Jaipur was originally a huge mansion! It was really pretty, with a pool and a beautiful garden. It took time for Anil to finally locate the hotel as it has a common name. The breakfast was awesome!! Heee. The hotel was cooling, and we watched Veer-Zara WITHOUT subtitles!! The good thing is I have already watched it =)

We went to the Lake Palace and another palace in Jaipur. Urgh, okay, I can't remember the name. My bad. But I know that the palace is super stunning. At the roof, there is a dance floor, where all the maidens dance underneath the moonlight. Yes, something I would want to have =)

There were some places made out of mirrors to keep the place warm during winter. Oh, there's also a ramp where the queen will be pushed on a wheelchair. No, the queen is fine. She's just wearing A LOT of jewelery and the total weight of the dress is about 15kg!! Imagine walking in that everyday up and down stairs! Haha.

Oh, there's also a window where the queen will wait for the king to come back and will shower him with flowers. Haha. Sweet and cute. Definitely.



Being in India opened my eyes, that there still are people who are really poor and actually beg for a bowl of rice. It breaks my heart seeing these people, they carry their undress babies in their arms and ask for money from people. The problem is, if you give money to one person, there will be 100 more who would come to you! So giving is not an option, and not giving makes you question your conscious. Sigh. It's still a difficult life out there.

Going to India was really fun! I wish to go there with my parents some day. I would love to see the Taj Mahal again =) Oh, on my way back there's this really cute Indian guy who sat next to me. Haha. He asked me if I liked India, and I said I enjoyed it so much. He wanted me to come again for his brother's wedding. Haha. Can I mummy? LoL =P







Now, I'm looking forward to my family's plan to go to Mecca this Ramadhan, God willing, if we can find a suitable time to accommodate everyone *kakak, adik and I* since our schedule is completely different. And also another Singapore trip to visit Pak Lang =)

Oh, holidays ending soon =(


From India with love....

2 comments:

Bruna said...

Wow what amazing trip! You're a lucky girl ;)

The question you make about poor people in almost in the end of your topic, well in fact it's a difficult question and more difficult it's how to procede. People like those you'll find in every countries. Even here, in Portugal, you find those people. I agree with you when you said 'if you give money to one person, there will be 100 more who would come to you!'
In Portugal, we said 'Não lhe dês o peixe, ensina-o a pescar' wich means 'Don't give him the fish, teach him how to fishing.' If we give money to them, maybe that's not the correct way of helping them, as also isn't correct not to help. I don't know too how to help them correctly but I hope that one day, everyone will look for those people and will really give them the hand they need.

NaNa XD said...

Fullmoon Princess: What you said is definitely true. Poverty is an issue that surrounds us no matter where we are on this planet, and it is difficult to eradicate though how modern or civilized we could be. I just hope that no matter where we are on this planet, we will always be happy for who we are.