Monday, March 8, 2010

Taj Mahal


I can die tomorrow and have something like this on me. I quote Queen Elizabeth after seeing with my own eyes the beauty of Taj Mahal. Wonderful, magnificient, enchanting.i couldn't find the right words to put, to express my feeling upon seeing the Taj. It is indeed a symbol of true love, a love that even death cannot break apart. Walking through the gates to enter one of the wonders of the world, I was thinking to myself, how could one love another so much and give everything in the world to her, even after death.

The Taj Mahal was built by the Moghul Emperor, Shah Jehan for his beloved wife, Mumtaz Mahal after she passed away giving birth. Mumtaz Mahal was a title given by the Moghul Emperor, her real name was Arjumand *I did not get her full name*. She died in the year of 1630 and the Taj Mahal was began to be built in the year 1631. It took 22 years to built it which is represented in the 22 minaret build around it.

Heaven on Earth, so they say. The architecture of Taj Mahal was inspired by the Holy Quran. It is not built in a square nor rectangle but it is built in an octagon shape, where in the Holy Quran it is said that there are 8 doors to heaven. It is also said that there are 4 rivers surrounding heaven - the river of honey, milk, nectar and perfume, thus, the garden surrounding the Taj Mahal is supplied by four different water supply. The four pillars surrounding the Taj is built slant towards the outside, so that in case of any earthquakes, it will not fall towards the Taj.



So they say that Shah Jehan chopped off the hands of everyone who worked for him for the Taj. He did not chop of their hands literally. After the Taj was built, he was extremely happy and offered a contract to everyone who worked with him, stating that he will pay them for the rest of their lives and that they will not have to work with anyone else anymore. It was in other point of views cutting their hands. A man who loved his wife so much couldn’t be such a cruel man.


Being there, mesmerized by its beauty made me think that nothing in this world could be more meaningful than to spend it with someone that you love.

I wish I could go to the era where the Taj Mahal was built and witness with my own eyes how they made the magic happen. But today I am lucky enough to at least see the Taj Mahal in front of my eyes.

No comments: