Friday, May 7, 2010

The First Cry, The Ultimate Joy

Being in the labour and delivery room made me learn a lot. It's been some time I've withdraw blood, put on a branula or even insert a urinary catheter, but this time, it's more than that. This place is where I learn to see how mothers fight to have their babies, who will one day became who knows what.

I've seen deliveries a few times, enough to feel the rush of adrenaline as the mother tries to push as best as she could, her baby through the birth canal. Though how hard they try, sometimes it takes certain mothers hours to be successful in giving birth. Some of them went through it easily, while others had to struggle more.

It tears me inside to see how they struggle their lives for the only life that they never knew before.

Giving birth is a hazardous journey for both the mother and baby. Sometimes, the mother's life is put into danger, vice versa. Babies are meant or supposed to cry once they are delivered. There are a few times when I witness a labour and the baby did not immediately cry and had to be resuscitated immediately. Sometimes, when it takes too much time, all of us will be holding our breath and praying silently inside for the baby to be well.

Then suddenly you hear the cry, it's like you hear a voice from heaven. Everyone will be relieved and smiling at each other. The baby cried while we smiled. The first cry meant everything.

Ohh...

Happy Mothers Day, to all mothers out there!!!

I was in Pavilion surveying for a birthdays slash mothers day present for mummy and adik and I ended up in Tiffany & co. and got her a simple lovely bracelet. Well, there goes my whole spending, but still, it's worth it :) Can't wait to see her face when she opens the blue box!!!

Being in O&G makes me appreciate my mum even more, but it doesn't mean that I love my dad less. Both of them has been much of an inspiration to me, they moulded my life. And though they're not always here, I know they love me and I love them dearly.

I miss them so much...

No comments: