Monday, April 26, 2010

The Gift of Life

I am currently in my second week and day 2 in obstetrics and gynecology posting. This week, we are divided into three groups, two groups will be in ward 2A and 2B while the other group will be in the labour room. Our rotation is for 2 weeks, so by the 6th week, each of us has a taste of each venue.

Honestly, I was scared to enter the room. A lot of stories have been heard of how painful labour is, how people will be crying out of pain and the voices of people cheering them to push harder. Even in movies we have been entertained with such scenes like delivery and everything related to labour.

I am now posted in the labour room. Yesterday, I witness a labour in front of my very own eyes. All that I could think of then was - miracle. Mothers fight so hard to bring their babies to life, without knowing what the future has planned for them. All of them put their lives in danger just to give the gift of life.

And tears streamed down my cheeks.

During on call, I witness another woman who was about to enter the operation theater to undergo cesarean section. She kissed her husband's hand and her husband kissed her forehead, a simple act that showed true love really exists in times like this. It's a wonder how a little baby can bring so much joy to a loving couple.

Being in Obgyn makes me realize a lot of things, but most importantly is to love your parents. They did everything they could for us, all we could do is to be good children for them :)

Maybe, one day, I would want to have my own 'little me'. Someday. Not now.

2 comments:

Ad- said...

little you? meaning more nanas?

no more nanas please...hahaha

NaNa XD said...

euw.. u're just jealous ad!~