Friday, April 8, 2011

Laughter and Tears

A couple of week back, a good family friend of ours came back from Jeddah to visit his wife and children who are in Malaysia. His wife is continuing her studies in a local university, thus she decided to stay put in Malaysia with her two children while her husband receives an offer to work in Jeddah. Before, he was working in Dubai, and being part of the Malay community there, we knew each others' family like our own!

They are really a good couple, and like a brother and sister to me. They give me advice on studies, my stress and sometimes my personal life. Sometimes its weird how you get connected to some people that you feel like you've known them forever, and cherish them deeply in your heart, people who just happen to cross your path, and be a part of your life.

I was unwell during the gathering, but I managed to see him a day before his departure to Jeddah. We had so much fun talking, and I just love the kids so much. We were laughing about everything, and updating one another about what has happen and will happen though we actually know as we contact through BBM.

Before he left, his wife posted a picture of his daughters crying, begging him not to leave. And it broke my heart. They are just kids, his eldest is 9 and youngest is 5. What do they understand about leaving, and the pain it brings?

He sacrificed a lot for his family. I would know, my parents are far away too. And I hate the fact that I can't tell them everything. Would you call you mother when you are sick, or stressed? No, you'd go home to be in their arms, right? You would seek advice from your dad, and listen to him. For me, even telling them that I am sick might be a burden to them, as they might get worried excessively and it would effect their health. Mind you, they are not that young anymore, and being far, their worries would escalate more than ever.

I understand what the girls are going through. I, too, am a child who is here without both parents. They are young, and its easy to get them to see the bright side of things. But there will always be this empty hole inside, where they will always be unable to fill. I have that too.

I just hope both parties are strong enough to endure whatever comes their way. The father must be heartbroken to leave his children, and the children will be empty without him. The mother, she will be left with a lonely heart that no one in this world could comprehend. Its not easy, really.

I miss my parents so much, and that there's a part of me who is never complete, never enough. I know I'm still lucky to be having them around, as I have friends who their parents have passed away, and that is even more languishing as they will never be able to see them again, not in this life. And I realize that there are too many mistakes I've done towards my parents, and I am never a perfect child to them. But I love them with all my heart that no one in this would could ever beat, and I hope I would someday be if not perfect, good enough to be called a good child.

No comments: