Tuesday, November 1, 2011

You Had Me at Hello

Last Saturday I went back to Mama’s immediately after Dr. Shu’s Saturday class as I thought I had to babysit the two exam-to-be girls at home. So it happens that mama decided not to go back to Melaka and the two girls went to their SPM study group (I didn’t have one then :P)

Anyway, I was homealone that evening since everyone had errands to run and I was carless. Huhu. So I browsed the TV and stopped at an epic love story – Jerry Maguire.

Remember this quote? Here, let me remind you the scene…


I can’t find the clip of what happened before that. But let me remind you about the story.

Jerry married Dorothy as he can’t be alone, and he knew that Dorothy will support him no matter what. Did he love her? Well, maybe?

Then he became so absorbed in his work life that he started to abandon Dorothy and her son, leaving her even emptier than she already was, being again, the oldest 26 year old girl alive. That night their talk at the lawn..

Dorothy: I took advantage of you and worst of all, I'm not alone. I did this with a kid. I was just on some ride where I thought I was in 1ove enough for both of us. I did this. And at least I can do something about it now.

Jerry: Well -- I'm not the guy who's going to run. I stick.

Dorothy: I don't need you to "stick."

Jerry: What do you want from me? My soul?

Dorothy: Why not? I deserve that much.

Jerry: What if I'm just not built that way?

Dorothy: I think we made a mistake here.

Jerry: What if it's true? "Great at friendship bad at intimacy." I mean, come on. It's the theme of my bachelor party film --

Dorothy: I know. I watched it. I sort of know it by heart.

Jerry: I don't like to give up.

Dorothy: Oh please. My need to make the best of things, and your need to be what, "responsible"... if one of us doesn't say something now we might lose ten years being polite about it. Why don't we call this next road trip what it is. A nice long break.

Jerry: What about Ray?

Dorothy: There's no question you'll be friends. Of course you'll be friends.

Jerry: So this break... is a break-up.

Dorothy: Come on, Jerry. You know this isn't easy for me. I mean, on the surface, you'd almost think everything was fine. See, I've got this great guy who loves my kid -- and he sure does like me a lot. I can't live that way. It's not the way I'm built.

I know for a fact that it is difficult to say goodbye to that one person you love, that in the end no matter what you do you will always turn back to them, and accept them just the way they are. Because THAT is how girls, women are built.

Sometimes guys take what we take too seriously, like when we say it is over, all we want is for you guys to say that it is not, that you want to make it right, to make it better.

If you don’t say so, she’ll wait for a while, then she’ll meet someone who can treat her better, and someone who can SHOW her that she is loved. It is definitely not fair to expect to be loved when you don’t love in return, is it?

Maybe you’re mad at her, so ignore her for a while, but don’t shut her off and make her think that you just don’t effin’ care, because she does. And for the millionth time, when she says ‘Give me time’, it means you just give her SOME time, not FOREVER. If you want her, she will definitely want you back.

I know the mind of a lady is as complex as they way she chooses the dress she wants to wear every single day. We are meant to be like that, and sorry, we can’t help it. Sometimes we just blurt things out without thinking. Sometimes we overthink things, and we care for the smallest details. Personally I know it’s not easy to understand all this, as sometimes I also feel that my feelings are taking over my mind. Emotionally driven? Definitely!

Well, in Jerry Maguire, Jerry came back. And he said a lot of things, what he didn’t know was he had already had her heart back with hello.

Is it that simple? Trust me, it is.

Just don’t let time wear off what she feels, and make her think that you don’t care when you do, that’s all.

Honestly, Jerry Maguire is one of my favourite love stories of all time. It reminds me of my high school days when we would cramp the recreation room just to watch it J

No comments: