Sunday, April 12, 2009

It's OVER

Days passed by as if it would never end, I counted each and every second that passed me by as if it would just stay there and never go away. But now it is all over! Terendak Camp is over. I just cannot believe it, when I woke up in the morning finding myself sleeping soundly on my bed with my pillow and teddy next to me =)

Well, I may not say that I hate Terendak so much. It was rather fun, if you try to make it fun. The first day everyone was scared, wondering what would they do to us. We've heard loads of stories from our seniors and most of them warned us just to follow the rules and everything will be ok.

We had rotation to guard the camp at night. The first night was my rotation. Suddenly, I heard people screaming "EARTHQUAKE!" It was rather like a roll call, where the soldiers made it because it was believed that they could not sleep due to the noise we were making. In return, we were asked to cross over a swamp filled with lintah s . Ewwww..... I was scared, but thank goodness nothing went into my pants or what so ever as we had already agreed on a way to wear our socks over our pants to avoind such incidents. My shoe was wet, dirty and smelly, and I thought, it's only the first night, could it ever be worst than this?

The second day, we were trained to look for directions using a compas. This one I enjoyed so much. I just love being in the jungle, till we reached our first checkpoint and had lunch there. Then we proceeded to the base camp, which was our second checkpoint and the end of the journey. That evening it rained so I spent most of my time in the tent. That night, we had a night walk where everyone will be left in the jungle all alone. Well, you would think that you are all alone because it is so dark and you can hardly see anything but the full moon in the sky, the fireflies and the light mushrooms. Remembering my experience during the BLS camp, I think this time I felt this time I managed to pull myself together and actually had fun in the jungle all alone. Not really all alone actually. Ranpreet was just about 6 metres away, but i cannot see her at all!!! We had to stay there about one hour plus and returned to the base camp at 4am!

The third day we learned how to carry people in emergency. And some 'emergency marching'. Weird, I know, but I had fun. I was turning black as we had to stay in the sun for so long. Well, memoried from camp I guess. Prof Ikram came today, with a few other lecturers from the university as tomorrow we will be having the Disaster and Relief Medicine Field Practical. I was informed that I was to be the patient. Figures.

The fourth day, we had the practical. It was fun and we finished everything in about 4 hours. The accident is about a train collision where two trains collide with each other thus there were manu casualties. I had a left closed tibia and fibula fracture. Thanks to everyone (Zul, Amanda, Farhana, Wafaa, Nabila and Era) who helped to carry me out of the jungle! =P .. That night we had a cooking competition and we cooked something so weird. But nevermind, it tasted great!

The fifth day we learned how to march. Ok, now I am officially BLACK! Seriously, my face hurts so much due to the sunburn, I just wished this day will pass me by. That night we had BBQ which was fun followed by performances.

The last day, we had to gather to salut the soldiers in something called the 'goodbye march'. It was rather fun, and after that, everyone was more energetic than they could have ever been. Time to go home! On the bus, my sleep was disturbed by someone who asked me to help him, in return no gratitude was shown. Maybe after this I should stop helping others and think about myself more.

Terendak camp was ok, but I would never want to go through that ever again

No comments: