Saturday, October 5, 2013

Sleep?

When I was pregnant, I waited till the 7th-8th month to start reading on parenting books. Being a new mom, I know I have a lot to learn. And I'll also be a working mom, so there are a few additional stuff that I should add on too.

I never had any problems sleeping when I was pregnant. Here and there I read about how difficult it was for other pregnant ladies to sleep at night, but somehow that did not happen to me. I could sleep for hours!! And for that I am really grateful.

When Aleesya came to our nights, she woke up hourly for the first few days. It was really challenging for me as I had to wake up to feed her and my body was still recovering. But I had a lot of fun.

Eventually, her routine changed to two hourly, then three hourly, till she was about a month old where she'll wake up only once at 3-4am.

A few days back she started to sleep the whole night, after falling asleep at about 12.30 midnight. Initially I thought it was a one night thing, you know those nights when you'll get lucky :p but apparently the routine has been on till last night! Aleesya is finally doing her nights! 

When I told my friend who is also a mother, she was shocked as her three month old baby was still waking up at night. Honestly, I have no secrets to how I made Aleesya sleep through the night, and somehow I don't think I'm the one who made her sleep through.

But when I thought about it, I think it all comes down to one thing - communication. The first night that Aleesya slept through was when I was having fever due to a blocked duct, so I told her my condition and asked her if she wouldn't mind to let me sleep the whole night, and she did! I had this habit of talking to Aleesya since I was pregnant, and I somehow think she understands me.

I'm not an expert to advice moms out there, but all I can say is talk more to your baby. They understand you more than you know.

And to Aleesya, who will be reading this someday when she grows up, thank you, for being such a blessing to all of us :)


No comments: